Summer is just around the corner, and for kids, that means it's time for summer camp! Whether your child is going away for a week or just a day, ensuring they have everything they need to have fun safely is important. With so many different things to pack, figuring out what's essential and what's not can be overwhelming. But you don't need to stress because here at piper finn, we've compiled a list of the top 5 summer camp supplies every child should have in their summer backpack.
5 Camping Essentials and Tips for Parents Packing for Summer Camp
- Sunscreen - The first item is one of the most important things your child will need when spending time outdoors: sunscreen. Ensure you send your child to camp with a high-quality sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays. Purchase sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 (50 is better!), and apply it generously to your child's skin before heading off to camp. Remind them to reapply it every few hours, especially after swimming, if the sunscreen brand is not waterproof. Oh, and don't forget the sunnies!
- Water Bottle - Staying hydrated is key when spending time in the sun to avoid heat and sunstroke. Refillable water bottles are excellent for summer camp. Look for a bottle that's easy to open and close, doesn't leak, and is sturdy enough to withstand a few knocks and drops. It's important to encourage your child to drink plenty of water throughout the day (at home and at summer camp) so they don't become dehydrated.
- Insect Repellent - Mosquitoes, ticks, and other bugs are common during the summer months, so it's a good idea to pack insect repellent for your child to use at camp. Look for an insect repellent that contains DEET and teach your child how to apply it properly. If your child has sensitive skin, choose a repellent specifically formulated for children and test it on a small area of skin (just inside their elbow or behind their ear) before applying it all over.
- Comfortable Kids Shoes - Depending on the activities your child will be doing at camp, they may need a variety of shoes. However, it's important to ensure they have at least one pair of comfortable, sturdy shoes that they can wear for long periods. Look for shoes that fit well, have good arch support, and are appropriate for your child's chosen summer camp activities.
- Rain Gear - Summer weather can be unpredictable, so packing rain gear for soggy days at camp is vital! Look for a lightweight raincoat and boots that fit well and are easy to put on and take off. Even if it doesn't rain, these items can be useful for playing in puddles or participating in water-based activities.
Sending your child off to summer camp is exciting, and with the right supplies, you can help ensure they have a fun and safe experience. Remember to include the essential items mentioned, and don't forget to label them with your kid's name – its one of our best tips for parents packing for summer camp! Why? Because lost camping essentials are a nightmare at summer camp! With the right camping essentials, your child will be well-equipped to make new friends, learn new skills, and enjoy all the fun camping activities summer camp has to offer.